The Way of Beauty~


“There’s always a sunrise and always a sunset and it’s up to you to choose to be there for it,’ said my mother. 'Put yourself in the way of beauty.”
(Cheryl Strayed)

It's Wednesday morning, my morning to go do something all by myself.  It's definitely something I look forward to because I just get to do whatever I want. And I try really hard to make this morning about the things I love and want to do versus the things I have to do like make phone calls or get groceries or run errands.  

Today,  I am sitting in the shade at the Tucson Botanical Gardens. It's a perfect morning with all the birds happily chirping and the buzz of bugs flying here and there to do the things bugs do. There is still a slight coolness in the air which is worth appreciating and taking advantage of before the rise of the heat and dust begins.   

I bought a membership to the Tucson Botanical Gardens not long ago so that I could come as often as possible while the Frida Kahlo Garden is up. I also bought the membership because I just love this place with all the green thriving plants and the abundance of shade, something I really need in order to thrive and survive in the desert. And, of course, I absolutely adore Frida and her work and all the color she brought into the world with her and left us with, so I must take advantage of this exhibit while it's here. 

One of the things that I have learned over the years is that beauty matters to me, and being surrounded by natural things like plants and singing birds, water and trees is an instant soother for me.  It's like my body knows that it can relax and I can just sink into being for a while. I can let go of doing and busyness and worry. 

So one of the things that I have been working at in my life is surrounding myself with beauty in all the ways that I can: in my home, around my house, in what I wear (though my wardrobe is limited), in what I eat, in what I read or watch, and where I go.  

This is why I love going into the wilds as often as possible.  Being in nature, walking and breathing is just good medicine. I also think that when we immerse ourselves in the beauty of the natural world, we have no choice but to slow down and marvel at the fascinating world around us. 

The quote that comes to mind is: "Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."

So much of life feels hurry, scurry as it is.  I'd rather not live that way.  I don't want to live my life in a chronic state of stress, nor do I want to move so fast that my life is a complete blur. 

I suppose this is why I've really taken to things like, yoga, sitting and writing in a journal, getting outside for walks or hikes, or just to sitting outside in the backyard with my kids breathing in the fresh air and sunshine. We all get set right by the rhythm and song of nature whether it's a backyard garden, the beach or the woods. 

This is why it's so important that we take time each day to watch the sun set and the stars rise, and to allow the sunrise and singing birds to wake us up each day. Follow the rhythm of nature, and you feel the heartbeat of the Earth. I am learning that this is the way toward ease. The pulsation, the flow of the day is already there, we just have to feel it and follow it.

So please take time to get outside today, to talk to a plant, to stop and smell the roses so to speak. 

Blessings~
Marcia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Clear, Feeling Connected~

Awake and Dreaming

From Wow to Ow