The Sweetness of Weddings and Remembering Love

"Marriage is not a ritual or an end. It is a long, intricate, intimate dance together and nothing matters more than your own sense of balance and your choice of partner." (Amy Bloom)
Jason and I attended John and Tabby's wedding on Friday night and had a great time. We had the chance to see some old friends from Flagstaff which really added to the joy of the evening. We danced, enjoyed a glass of wine, took silly pictures in a photo booth and stayed up way past our bed time.
On Sunday morning after my class, I shared with PJ what Jason and I had been up to and that we had just returned home from a wedding. PJ then shared with me how much he loved attending weddings because you get to revisit your own love and commitment to each other. You reminisce about your own wedding day and can't help but smile and pass knowing looks across the way. I agreed. We also agreed that showing up for the sacred event is sign of support for the couple who is embarking on this new journey in their life together. It's such a sweet thing, really.
One of things that struck me after Jason and I said, "I Do" was the feeling of ease and security that washed over me. I am so glad we kept the ceremony small and chose to wed by the sea because there is nothing like hearing the roar of waves to remind you to go with the flow, to stay aligned and attuned to the rhythm of nature.
And here Jason and I are 9 1/2 years later and 4 1/2 years married, swept up in the tides of life. What I've discovered is that love and marriage and a good relationship is full of life. There are ups and downs along the way as with anything else. Throw a child into the mix and presto, you have a whole new relationship and dynamic. I suppose this is the reason choosing a good-hearted, steady, funny, loving, committed partner is everything. The foundation of the relationship must be sturdy enough to whether the storms of life and spacious enough to allow room for growth and change . The best part is, that what you put into your little house of love will pay off and, ultimately, will stand the test of time.
Cheers to love, to life, to laughter, and being in it together. Cheers to love standing the test of time and making the most of the time together.
Salud,
Marcia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Plea For Help ~

A Long Time Away~

Big and Wide Open~